Alpaca Walks are enjoyed by singles, couples, families, and small groups. Experience alpacas up close and personal by taking an alpaca for a walk on a guided tour around our farm! Breathe the fresh air, enjoy the beauty of nature around you, exhale, relax, de-stress, and get one-on-one with an alpaca that is to be your hiking buddy.
Alpaca walking is an activity of a different nature and exciting as well as very peaceful. It’s an experience to remember. For some, it’s on their bucket list. For others, it’s a unique outdoor family activity and for still others, it’s a great way to celebrate a special event. Of course, there are those that just love alpacas and this is a wonderful opportunity to engage with these unique creatures. Treat yourself, or share this wonderful opportunity as a gift.
Scheduling Alpaca Walks
Call or contact us to schedule. Once the date and time is established, then book here by selecting the number of alpacas needed and then purchasing. Alpacas are herd animals so we always take out a minimum of two alpacas, with a maximum of four alpacas. If you’re a single, your guide will walk an alpaca too, so that each has a buddy. You can be sure that an Alpaca Walk will be a unique and unforgettable experience!
What to Expect on an Alpaca Walk
Your adventure will begin with a short introduction to your pre-selected trained alpaca along with tips on proper handling techniques. Each alpaca has a name, a story, and its own unique personality and charm! We will start out by showing you how to hold the lead of your alpaca, then do a few practice rounds in the paddock area close to the barn. Once you are comfortable with your alpaca, we will then set out on a leisurely stroll to see more of the farm.
We’ll be crossing a small bridge and make our way to a labyrinth where we’ll meander through the paths, then venture into the hay field, then off through the woods. Terrain may be rough, bumpy, or muddy with exposed tree roots that can be easy to trip over, so you’ll need to watch your step.
Alpacas startle quite easily because they have no way to defend themselves. Therefore, it will be your job to make your alpaca feel safe. Even a branch rubbing against their legs can scare them, so your alpaca will need reassurance from a calm handler!
Plan on spending about an hour from start to finish, however actual walking time is not more than 30 minutes.
What you Need to Know
- All walks must be pre-booked and are available Monday through Friday, 8am-11am, and Saturday from 9:30am until 11am. Hours will vary throughout year based on weather and comfort of the alpacas.
- Alpacas are herd animals so we always take out a minimum of two alpacas, with a maximum of four alpacas. If you’re a single, your guide will walk an alpaca so each has a buddy.
- Children must be at least 12 years old to walk an alpaca on their own.
- Children aged 8 to 12 may walk an alpaca providing that each child is accompanied by an adult, who will have a second lead on the alpaca. For younger children, find out about our Farm Tours.
- Please wear comfortable, close-toed shoes, boots in the winter and mud season in the Spring, no flip flops or sandals, appropriate footwear for walking.
- Dress for the weather and expect wet grass from morning dew in some season.
- If the forecast looks bad, we will contact you the evening before (via email/text or call) that there is a chance we may have to reschedule the walk. We will make a final decision on the morning of your scheduled day and again contact you. We will reschedule at a mutually agreed upon time. If you are visiting our area and can’t reschedule, we will issue a refund.
- Please be sure to use bug repellent before you arrive.
- Our alpacas are not used to dogs so we have a strict no dog policy on our farm.
Scheduled in All Seasons
Alpaca Walks are most enjoyable in nice weather, but can be scheduled year round with the exception of the month of December. We are lucky in Ohio to have four seasons, each of them beautiful in its own way. We are open to scheduling during winter months as long as it is not muddy, icy, raining or snowing. Though you may reserve a winter date, we cannot guarantee that date until checking the weather conditions the day before.
Learn about Alpacas
We are happy to answer your questions about alpacas and our farm as we walk with the alpacas. We can share with you as much or as little as you’d like to know. We’ve been raising alpacas for 20 years, so we’ve learned a lot and have many experiences to share if you are interested. All you have to do is ask.
Time for Pictures
Of course, you’ll want some pictures and we can stop for photo ops as many times as you’d like. Since you will need both hands to hold your alpaca, it works best if we take pictures for you and send them to you by email as a delightful memento of your special day!
Meet our Other Animals
As we leave the pasture, we’ll introduce you to our Angora goats, Mike, Ike, and Lola. On our way back, we’ll pass by the bunny shed where you can see our Angora rabbits. Simon is our buck, Mrs. Fitz is our doe, and sometimes we have baby bunnies which is always a special treat. You’ll see chickens too and a very fancy rooster named Beauregard.
Experience and Enjoy
Depending on the time of year, the beauty of nature is always an amazing sight. Experience mother nature, our alpacas, and an inner peace that will leave you feeling grounded the rest of the day, perhaps even longer.
Back to the Barn
You may find the pace to be a little quicker on our way back to the barn. Alpacas are herd animals, so they are always happy and excited to be back with their alpaca friends.
Time to Shop
You will have the opportunity at the end of your alpaca walk to visit our Farm Store and see all the amazing things that can be made from alpaca fiber. You can might even wan to purchase alpaca products or souvenirs. Our young visitors love our Cuddle Toys and our soft-as-can be Teddy Bears and Alpacas made from real alpaca! Knitters and crocheters will want to check out our Alpaca Yarn. Our Farm Yarn is yarn that’s spun from the fiber of our very own alpacas, and is always a very special reminder of your visit to our farm.
Gift an Alpaca Walk
If you’d like to gift an Alpaca Walk, leave a note when purchasing and we’ll email you a Gift Certificate.